- An insufficient intake of folic acid during pregnancy can cause neurological birth defects like spina bifida.
- A pregnant woman’s need for folic acid is highest in the first trimester. All sexual active women of reproductive age should take a folic acid supplement.
- Combines with Vitamin B12 in an essential process for the formation of healthy red blood cells. A lack of folic acid leads to anemia.
- Folic acid is necessary for the conversion of toxic byproduct homocysteine to a safe amino acid. Elevated homocysteine levels are a cardiac disease risk factor.
- Leafy green vegetables, beans, and milk are the primary sources of folic acid in our diet.